I know. I know…it’s been FOREVER. What have I been doing? Well for starters eating a lot of chocolate cake.
I’m not sure why but there is something about chocolate cake that makes me feel better. I’m not saying it makes me feel physically better…it in fact makes my butt a whole lot bigger and I’m sure does a number on my body as far as sugar goes ..but psychologically better. And, let’s just say lately, I have NEEDED a lot of chocolate cake.
Since my last post which was what almost 4 months or so ago…(UGH, I’m so pissed at myself that it has been so long) I have been basically double fisting chocolate cake! Between the kids and babies with us for six weeks, my beloved Maddie passing, work being crazy, and family stuff…well I have probably eating enough cake for all of us.
The takeaway here is really not about how much I have been eating but to figure out or realize what what that simple little thing is that provides you comfort…even in the most crap of situations you may be dealing with in your life? And, whatever the simple thing is, even if not great for you like fists of chocolate cake to simply embrace it and let it heal you.
Best Dark Chocolate Cake (adapted from addapinch.com)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened black or dark cocoa powder (King Arthur black is the best)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coffee (or espresso powder)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350, butter and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coffee to your stand mixer and wisk to combine.
- Add milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add boiling water to the batter until well combined. (batter will be thin)
- Pour batter evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a took pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
Dark Chocolate Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder (King Arthur black)
- 1 stick of butter, softened.
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Combine softened butter, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder in your stand mixer.
- Mix on lowest speed just until combined.
- Stop the mixer, scrape down sides, add the vanilla and turn back on high-speed adding half and half a little at a time until desired consistency.
- Stop again to scrape down sides.
- Turn the mixer back on and whip on high about 3 minutes.
Frost cooled cakes & dig in!